1. Mandatory. 0,75kg (light vehicles) and 1,5kg (heavy vehicles). 0,75kg are unavailable so 1kg units are commonly purchased.
2. To be SAZ approved and display the SAZ logo
3. To be serviceable. (Our understanding is they are required to be refillable. There is no legislation we are aware of requiring the above units to be serviced, however regular servicing is recommended. To be professionally refilled when in the red, i.e. below pressure).
4. SI154 does not specify the colour of the extinguisher.
- No serviceable fire extinguisher light m/v (0.750kgs) $5.00
- No serviceable fire extinguisher heavy m/v (1.5kgs) $5.00
1. Two triangles are mandatory.
2. Not required to be SAZ approved.
3. A pair is required for a trailer as well as for the towing vehicle.
- Fail to carry red warning triangles (one only) $10.00
- Fail to display red triangle as prescribed at night (one rear) $10.00
Fluorescent safety jacket
1. Mandatory for pedal cyclists and motor cyclists at night. (Reflective clothing for motor cyclists is referred to in Section 75 (4) (b) under the heading “Loading: pedal cycles and motor cycles” and must be SAZ approved).
2. Not mandatory for motorists but recommended for personal safety.
3. Is mandatory in Mozambique
Trailers (including horse-trailers):
1. All trailers to have a white T (extreme right, front) and red T (extreme right, rear).
2. A light trailer (load capacity which does not exceed 550kg) to display red, 50 mm honeycomb type reflective tape at the rear of the vehicle, horizontally to within 400 mm of each side of the trailer.
3. ‘Heavy’ trailers (load capacity exceeding 550kg) must be fitted with a rear warning sign (a red/yellow chevron plate) and GVM/NVM information.
4. A light trailer is not required to be braked.
- No rear number plate light $20.00
- No white front reflective “T” (except construction trailers) $10.00
- No red rear reflective “T” (except construction trailers) $10.00
- No continuous red rear reflectors (light trailer) $10.00
- No chevron on the rear (heavy trailer) $10.00
- Fail to display gross & net mass on left side of the vehicle (trailer) $10.00
Note: A light trailer has a load capacity which does not exceed 550 kg. However, the “Schedule of Deposit Fines” states that trailers with a factory rated load capacity of 545 kgs or more are classified as “HEAVY”. A load capacity not exceeding 550 kg is the correct description of a light trailer.
Reflectors on the sides of vehicles are required when a vehicle or a vehicle towing a trailer has an overall length exceeding 8 metres: Amber, 50mm honeycomb type reflective tape, horizontally to within 400mm of the outer edges of the vehicle (front and back).
Light motor vehicles: Cars must have two white reflectors at the front, and two red reflectors at the rear, within 400mm of the sides. Minimum size 35mm in diameter.
- No red rear reflectors (35mm in diameter) $20.00
- No white front reflectors (35mm in diameter) $20.00
Heavy duty vehicles/Commercial vehicles:
1. Must have two white reflectors at the front. Minimum size 35mm in diameter.
2. To display red, 50mm honeycomb type reflective tape at the rear of the vehicle, horizontally to within 400mm of each side of the vehicle.
3. GVM/NVM information to be displayed on the left of commercial vehicles (see registration book for details).
- No white front reflectors (35mm in diameter) $20.00
- No continuous rear red reflective “warning sign” $15.00
- Fail to display gross & net mass on the left side of the vehicle $10.00
1. “Commercial vehicles” include vanettes, pick-ups and double-cabs, not exceeding 2 300kg. SUV’s (station-wagons) are not classified as commercial vehicles.
2. The requirements under “commercial vehicles” apply whether or not the vehicle is in private use.
SPEEDING OFFENCES: ROAD TRAFFIC ACT, CHAPTER 13:11
ALL LIGHT MOTOR VEHICLES (URBAN AND RURAL)
1 to 5 k.p.h. in excess of speed limit…………………………… Caution -
6 to 15 k.p.h. in excess of speed limit…………………………. $5.00
16 to 25 k.p.h. in excess of speed limit……………………….. $10.00
26 to 35 k.p.h. in excess of speed limit……………………….. $15.00
36 to 50 k.p.h. in excess of speed limit……………………….. $20.00
Over 50 k.p.h. in excess of speed limit………………………... Court
Holding or operating a handheld cell phone while driving is illegal. (Statutory Instrument 299 of 2002, section 16B). High Court Judgement HB157/2012 concluded an appropriate penalty is a $20.00 fine, failing which 5 days imprisonment.
The MAXIMUM deposit fine a police officer can legally impose is $20.00 per offence. (A level 3 fine). A fine higher than level 3 can only be imposed by a magistrate after a court appearance.
Cracked windscreens: We understand it is a fineable offence only if the windscreen is cracked in such a way that it obstructs the drivers vision. Section 54 of SI 154 states: The windscreen shall be so constructed that, if it is damaged in any manner, it will ensure a safe degree of visibility for the driver.
- Drive motor vehicle with glass windscreen which does not provide clear undistorted vision $10.00
1. If towing, both vehicle and trailer to display blue/yellow triangles. Large triangle on the extreme right, front of vehicle. Small triangle on the extreme right, rear of trailer. (Not required for vehicles not towing).
2. A fluorescent safety jacket is mandatory.
Acknowledgements: Mr David Cruttenden. Mr Howard Dean of BIZ Bulletin (Anyone interested in subscribing to BIZ, can contact Howard on firstname.lastname@example.org)
Source: “National Schedule of Deposit Fines” of August 2013.