Nobody assaulted say Police

HARARE
The police have been ordered to conduct a fresh investigation into charges that 30 opposition members were beaten in custody. Their initial report into the matter said no one had been assaulted.
The opposition Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) activists were arrested and

thrashed in police custody in March, before being charged with petrol bomb attacks against police, government and ruling party targets. Many of them are still in custody.
The MDC’s lawyer, Alec Muchadehama, a lawyer for the MDC, said Harare magistrate Gloria Takundwa had made the order because the police had not complied properly with the initial order to investigate the assaults.
The defence attorneys are now bogged down in making bail applications and trying to force the state to set a trial date for the activists.
A High Court judge last month ruled that defence lawyers could make an application to have the 30 released if the state had not set a trial date by Monday, but that has still not happened. – Staff reporter

Post published in: News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *