There was confusion on Tuesday morning when the MDC issued a statement saying the Deputy Minister had been released without charge while the defence team was saying the charges had not been dropped. Mahlangus lawyer Charles Kwaramba told SW Radio Africa he received a call from the Attorney Generals office saying the State no longer wished to oppose the granting of the accused persons bail, but the charges would still remain.
The Deputy Minister, who was arrested last Tuesday on allegation of stealing a mobile phone from war veteran leader Joseph Chinotimba, was released on bail late Monday and is expected back in court for his remand hearing on 7 August, and 12 August for the commencement of his trial.
His aide Malven Chadamoyo who is facing the same charge of theft was also released on bail. Both had been granted bail on Friday but remained in custody after the State opposed this.
Two women allegedly found in possession of the phone line belonging to the war vet leader were also granted bail on Monday. The two, who have been in custody for two weeks, were expected to be released on Tuesday. Kwaramba said their release could not be processed in time on Monday.
Meanwhile the MDC maintains that ZANU PF, through the AGs office, is engaged in a political game which has nothing to do with the rule of law. The party believes there is a sinister plot to decimate the MDC, and to whittle down its Parliamentary majority by engaging in a crackdown on innocent MDC MPs, officials and members.Post published in: News