Charamba to keep his job: Biti

charambaHARARE Zimbabwes three ruling parties have agreed to retain the controversial George Charamba as President Robert Mugabes spokesman and permanent secretary in the ministry of information, a position he is accused of using to churn out hate speech against the MDC-T, it was announced last week. (P

Charamba is widely believed to be the author of the vitriolic Nathaniel Manheru column that appears in the government-owned but Zanu (PF)-controlled Herald newspaper every Saturday. The column specialises in denigrating Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai and other leaders of his party.

However, MDC-T secretary general Tendai Biti told journalists last week that the parties had agreed to retain Charamba in his jobs as part of a compromise deal meant to move the political transition process forward.

“On the permanent secretary the parties agreed that the permanent secretary should remain in his position,” Biti said. “But he should do his duties in accordance to the oaths he has taken to the State. Thats is my understanding of the agreement.”

Charamba was appointed to Mugabe’s government following the 2000 elections. He is Mugabes chief propagandist since former information minister Jonathan Moyos departure from the government five years ago.

Charamba worked together with Moyo to craft the tough Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act that Mugabes previous government used to shut down newspapers and harass journalists.

He is see as among the hawks in Mugabes camp resisting efforts to democratise Zimbabwe, especially attempts to widen press freedom.

Post published in: World News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *