Top MDC-N officials boycott burial

Top officials from the MDC formation led by Welshman Ncube on Monday boycotted the burial of Eliphas Mukoweshuro, raising speculation that the chasm between the two parties in widening.

Eliphas Mukonoweshuro
Eliphas Mukonoweshuro

Mukonoweshuro died in South Africa on Friday last week and was declared a national hero by the MDC-T. However he was not buried at the country’s Heroes’ Acre as it is a preserve of Zanu (PF).

In his speech at the Warren Hills cemetery, just a few kilometres from the National Heroes Acre, MDC-T President Morgan Tsvangirai described the late Mukonoweshuro as a “true hero2 – but Ncube’s MDC had other fish to fry and chose to go to the National Heroes Acre for the heroes’ holiday celebrations.

In stark contrast to this, three senior Zanu (PF) officials – Olivia Muchena, Minister of Women’s Affairs, Minister of Tourism Walter Mzembi and Minister of Indigenisation Savior Kasukuwere – attended the burial service.

“Mukonoweshuro was a colleague in the struggle for a new Zimbabwe. The MDC values his contributions, (however) our absence at his burial was a result of national commitments. Inasmuch as we respected Mukonoweshuro, we cannot equate him with the likes of General Tongagara, Mayor Urimbo, Justin Chauke and others,” said Kurauone Chihwai, the Ncube party’s deputy spokesperson.

Activists from the MDC-T who spoke at Warren Hills to The Zimbabwean said they were shocked at the absence of Ncube or any of his top officials.

Post published in: News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *