Recently, Speaker of Parliament Lovemore Moyo removed the former Deputy Minister of Labour and Social Services from the August House after Zanu (PF) secretary for administration Didymus Mutasa wrote to parliament that Mutinhiri was no longer a representative of the party.
A moratorium on by-elections among the three parties has left people unrepresented as the parties agreed not to contest one another in the event of a vacancy. Zimbabwe Election Support Network said that it was concerned by the fact that 14 constituencies were not able to participate through parliamentary representation.
“The expulsion of Dr. Tracy Mutinhiri creates another constituency in Parliament without representation. Since the moratorium on by-elections in Zimbabwe, the number of constituencies without Members of Parliament increases to 14 and 9 senatorial constituencies,” says ZESN in its Ballot update for September.
ZESN says that it is time for the government finds a solution to ensure that all Zimbabweans are represented.
“ZESN remains concerned about the lack of representation and urges the government to find ways to deal with these problems. Zimbabwe is a representative government and lack of representation prejudices these constituencies as their issues and views cannot find expression on the national agenda.”
According to the Parliament of Zimbabwe, 14 constituencies are without representation and there are 14 vacant seats in the lower house of Assembly and 8 in the Senate.
House of Assembly absences
1. Gokwe Gumunyu MP Ephraim Mushoriwa: deceased (Zanu (PF))
2. Matobo North Incumbent Lovemore Moyo: was elected to be Speaker of Parliament (MDC-T)
3. Mt Darwin Retained Vice President position (Zanu (PF))
4. Guruve North MP Cletus Mabharanga: death (Zanu (PF))
5. Bindura North MP Elliot Manyika: death (Zanu (PF))
6. Mutare North MP Charles Fungai Pemhenhayi: death (Zanu (PF))
7. Nkayi South MP Abednico Bhebhe: expelled from party (MDC-M)
8. Bulilima East MP Norman Mpofu: expelled from party (MDC-M)
9. Lupane East MP Njabuliso Mguni: expelled from party (MDC-M)
10. Emakhandeni – Emtumbani MP Conelius Raphael Essalph Dube: death (MDC-T)
11. Makoni Central MP John Nyamande: death (MDC-T)
12. Mabvuku MP Shepherd Madamombe: death (MDC-T)
13. Mwenezi West MP Neddie Masukume (Zanu (PF))
14. Marondera East MP Dr Tracy Mutinhiri (Zanu (PF))
TOTAL SEATS VACANT (14)Post published in: News