Munemo has put together papers for submission to the court in which he names co-Home Affairs Minister Kembo Mohadi, Police Commissioner General Augustine Chihuri, Didymus Mutasa, Patrick Chinamasa and CIO Director General, Happyton Bonyongwe as the respondents.
Munemo said he was finalising the papers with his lawyers and said some of the respondents had been served. He embarked on the move in a bid to fight for justice. The MDC youth leader was arrested on March 20, 2008 by Assistant Inspector Mutandiri and Superintendent Mofolo at Chivi Growth Point. The police were allegedly assisted by intelligence officers.
“They arrested me and I was taken to Chivi Police camp. They accused me of tearing President Mugabe’s campaign posters. I was then referred to the criminal relations liaison officer and later detained. The ordeal lasted seven days. During that period police officers and intelligence operatives took turns to assault me. They used thick
sticks to beat me under the feet forcing me to admit to the charge of undermining the authority of the president. They also rubbed salt into my wounds. They were very brutal. I could hardly stand because of the excruciating pain,” said Munemo.
The youth is demanding $200 000 dollars from the police and Zanu (PF) officials for torture, pain, shock, suffering, trauma and loss of amenities. He is also demanding a similar amount for malicious prosecution and over-detention, plus $50 000 for unlawful arrest.
“This should be a reminder to all people that they must uphold the rule of law,” he said.Post published in: News