MDC-T youth march in Masvingo for activists’ release

Hundreds of members of the MDC-T Youth Assembly on Friday held a peaceful march in central Masvingo Town demanding the “immediate and unconditional” release of party activists still being held behind bars.

Solomon Madzore
Solomon Madzore

The march started from Main Street and ended at the Civic Centre where National Youth Assembly leaders addressed the youths, calling for the immediate release of Youth Assembly Chairman Solomon Madzore and seven other party members. The youths moved around the city centre wielding placards denouncing Johannes Tomana, the Attorney-General and ZANU PF politicians for using the courts to persecute and not prosecute MDC members, the independent media and civic society members.

Madzore and the other seven have remained behind bars since last year in connection with the death of Glen View policeman Petros Mutedza. The eight are part of a group of 28 MDC-T members who have been charged in connection with the death, which is said to have happened during a bar fight back in May 2011.

Madzore was arrested in October last year and efforts to have him released on bail have failed. The other seven who are still detained were also denied bail following their arrest in May. The seven are: Glen View Ward 32 Councillor Tungamirai Madzokere, Rebecca Mafikeni, Phenias Nhatarikwa, Lazarus Maengahama, Stanford Maengahama, Yvonne Musarurwa and Stanford Mangwiro.

Clifford Hlatywayo, the Youth Assembly spokesperson described the march

as a success, telling SW Radio Africa on Friday that at least 300 youth members joined the action. He also said that their message was “loud and clear”. He added that the demonstrations will spread throughout the country calling for changes in the judicial and took a swipe at ZANU PF for politicising the system.

A similar protest last weekend resulted in at least 50 MDC-T youths being assaulted by police in Bulawayo after their arrest. They had gathered for a planned “Free Madzore” demonstration due to take place the same day. The group was eventually released without charge. – SW Radio Africa News

Post published in: News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *