Defence lawyer Sabelo Sibanda said the prosecution team has failed to produce evidence to prove that MFL leaders Charles Thomas, John Gazi and Paul Siwela, distributed flyers calling for the separation of Matebeleland and other parts from the rest of Zimbabwe.
The prosecution further states that the three MFL leaders allegedly attempted to topple the government by distributing flyers inciting the public to revolt against the State. The three leaders deny the charges and have pleaded not guilty. They face the death sentence if convicted.
The trial opened at the Bulawayo High Court Monday before Justice Nicholas Ndou. Our Bulawayo correspondent Lionel Saungweme told us evidence produced in court so far by state witnesses makes the prosecution case shaky and inconsistent.
‘The case against the three leaders has been crumbling since the trial begun on Monday. Two witnesses have contradicted their previous testimony and two other key state witnesses dismissed police claims that he had seen Thomas and Gazi distributing flyers in the city,’ Saungweme said.
There is an assumption the defence team will wait for all state witnesses to testify before they decide to apply for the case to be discharged. Saungweme said the defence team is confident the prosecution case ‘has been built on shaky foundations.’
‘The defence team believes the case against their clients was a hatchet job meant to silence them from the political scene in Bulawayo. They pointed to inconsistencies even from investigation officers as testimony that this case should not have come this far,’ Saungweme added.
So far seven state witnesses have testified and another seven are lined up to testify in the coming week, including the Bulawayo police commander for the Law and Order section, Superintendent Andrew Mupungu, who is the chief investigating officer. – SW Radio Africa NewsPost published in: News