MDC-T losing parliamentary candidate survives knife attack

The MDC-T’s losing parliamentary for Bubi in Matabeleland North province, Mark Harold Ncube was stabbed several times on Friday night in an unprovoked attack by an alleged ZANU PF activist.

Ncube contested against Clifford Sibanda of ZANU PF in the July 31st poll. No one has been arrested for the attack. The businessman was attacked outside his business premises at Inyathi business centre and is now receiving treatment for several stab wounds at the local hospital.

His family has since expressed concerned about his safety following several threats against him after he announced his intention to contest the election on an MDC-T ticket.

SW Radio Africa’s Bulawayo correspondent, Lionel Saungweme reported that Ncube was stabbed in the chest, neck and shoulder. He was admitted to the local clinic last Friday evening and his condition is believed not to be life threatening.

“He had for some time been receiving threats from ZANU PF activists accusing him of being in the wrong party. These ZANU PF activists are known to be very close to Obert Mpofu, the Mines minister,” Saungweme reported.

He added: “At times his businesses were raided. Residents around Inyathi have been ordered by ZANU PF activists not to buy from his shops. They have been threatened with unspecified action if they buy at Mark Harold Ncube's shop.”

Meanwhile Police in Chegutu on Friday night arrested a key MDC-T official who was leading the party’s efforts to gather evidence of electoral fraud.

Emmerson Mukandiwa, the district youth chairman for Chegutu was dragged out of his bed on Friday by police hunting down evidence-gatherers from the MDC-T, a senior member of the party said.

Charlton Hwende, the losing MDC-T parliamentary candidate for Chegutu West told SW Radio Africa on Monday that police in Chegutu were reportedly looking for four other party activists who have been helping with gathering evidence since the July 31st poll.

Hwende said his campaign team that included Mukandiwa had gathered over 500 identity cards of deceased people that were allegedly used by ZANU PF supporters to vote last month.

After using the ID’s ZANU PF people started throwing them away and Hwende and his team have been gathering all the evidence, which has now been handed over to the party in Harare. – SW Radio Africa

Post published in: News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *