ZRP silent on roadblock petition

The Zimbabwe Republic Police’s silence on a petition challenging them to declare money being collected from police roadblocks is a serious cause for concern, a local lobby group has said.

CAC want the ZRP to be transparent about the money it receives from roadblocks.
CAC want the ZRP to be transparent about the money it receives from roadblocks.

The Coalition Against Corruption in September last year petitioned the Police Commissioner General, Augustine Chihuri, to account for the money collected from police roadblocks around the country.

The CAC said the petition was meant to ensure transparency and accountability within the police force. This came in the wake of reports by the then-Finance Minister, Tendai Biti, that the money was not being remitted to Treasury.

Officially opening the 13th Zanu (PF) Annual National People’s Conference in Gweru in December last year, President Robert Mugabe bemoaned the high levels of corruption in the ZRP as well as the Zimbabwe Revenue Authority.

Chihuri is on record warning his subordinates against engaging in corrupt activities. There have been reports of traffic police officers getting rich on bribes from commuter omnibus operators.

CAC National Coordinator, Regis Chingawo, told The Zimbabwean that efforts to get a feedback from the police regarding their petition had been unsuccessful.

He said it was the public’s right to know where the revenue from police roadblocks was being channeled.

“We delivered the petition last year but we are yet to get any feedback from the police. The public has the right to know and that is one sure way of promoting transparency and accountability in the country,” said Chingawo.

He said CAC would continue to push the ZRP to declare money from police roadblocks. “We will continue pushing them so that they respond to our petition and make the information public,” said Chingawo.

When contacted for comment, police national spokesperson, Senior Assistant Commissioner Charity Charamba, said: “Who are you to ask that question. Are you trying to speak on their (CAC) behalf? Tell them to come to the Police General Headquarters if they need a reply”.

Post published in: News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *