At least eight members of the South African Hawks have been implicated in the disappearance of at least 16 Zimbabweans from South Africa four years ago, reports the SA Sunday Times.
The CIA-style renditions have been the subject of a two-year investigation by the Independent Police Investigative Directorate. No official confirmation could be secured, but The Times said a detailed report was with the National Prosecuting Authority, which must decide whether to charge the officials with murder, assault and obstruction of justice.
David Barritt, a special adviser to and acting spokesman for Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa, has confirmed that the investigative directorate ended its investigation last month and made several recommendations to the NPA. They are waiting for a response."
The eight are alleged to have been operating on orders from high-ranking officers. A source close to the suspects said a number of policemen had given sworn statements, several of them implicating senior officers. Statements have been taken from these senior officers.
The disappearances of the Zimbabweans were between 2010 and 2011, when members of the Gauteng Hawks assisted the notorious Zimbabwean Central Intelligence Organisation.
The renditions were allegedly made on the pretence that the men repatriated were wanted for questioning in connection with armed robberies and the murder of Zimbabwean police officers.
Several of those spirited to Zimbabwe were allegedly tortured, and others were murdered or simply disappeared. Among those who disappeared from South Africa and were either tortured or murdered are:
• Gift Nhidza, a former Movement for Democratic Change organiser;
• Nhidza's wife, who was allegedly tortured by Zimbabwean police seeking information on her husband's whereabouts; and
• Witness Ndeya, allegedly killed with two friends by Zimbabwean police shortly after their return to that country.
A senior South African police official said last night that though there was strong evidence against those implicated it was doubtful that they would be prosecuted.
"These guys are untouchable … they do as they want when they want. This will not lead to their prosecution, even though it should," he said.
A source close to the NPA side of the investigation said prosecutors had issued special guidance to investigators to ensure that the case was strong enough to go to court.
"It was a massive investigation. It took careful planning to get where we are today."
The source, who cannot be named because he is not authorised to speak about the investigation, said damning statements had been obtained.
Gabriel Shumba, director of the Zimbabwe Exiles Forum, said the group had given information in connection with several of the cases. "We have, however, not been notified of the developments. It is perplexing. It adds to our concerns about what the investigation really revealed about those involved in this. Also worrying for us is the real number of people smuggled back to Zimbabwe, and how many were killed," he said.
Shumba said he believed the 16 rendition cases the forum knew of were only the tip of the iceberg. "We have credible information on six cases, with information from two of those who were taken back but escaped and returned with evidence of torture."Post published in: News