When it began offering Internet Provision Services to Zimbabweans a number of years go, the company identified the major risk areas involved and formulated a Safe Internet Policy.
This is constantly being developed to meet the ever-changing Internet landscape. The policy enables Frampol to offer all customers countrywide a clean Internet Service that blocks harmful content like pornography, hate sites and Internet gaming. It can even control the amount of time a user can spend on websites like Facebook and other Social Networking Websites.
Here are some statistics on Internet use and related trends:
Although the below statistics are from the USA they are a reflection of statistics in Zimbabwe.
1. Home Internet access has expanded to 84% among young people.
2. 32 % of teens clear the browser history to hide what they do online from their parents.
3. 16 % have created private e-mail addresses or social networking profiles to hide what they do online from their parents.
4. 52 % of teens have given out personal information online to someone they don't know offline.
5. 50 % of 1st grade students do not have adults supervising them when they are online.
6. 30% of young people say that they "often" or "always" hide their online activities.
7. About 30% of children say that they don't tell their parents what they are doing online, and would change their behaviour if they knew their parents were watching (31%).
8. 9 out of 10 children aged between the ages of 8 and 16 have viewed pornography on the Internet, in most cases unintentionally.
9. 20% of teens and 33% of young adults have sent or posted nude or semi-nude pictures or videos of themselves online.
10. 39% of teens and 59% of young adults have sent or posted sexually suggestive e-mails or text messages.
11. 79% of youth unwanted exposure to pornography occurs in the home.
12. One in four internet users look at a pornographic website in any given month. Men look at pornography online more than they look at any other subject. And 66% of 18-34 year-old men visit a pornographic site every month.
13. Numerous statistics drawn from the 2008 Internet Pornography Statistics confirm the impression that pornography is widely accessed by Internet users, and that both production and consumption are expanding. Every second, there are approximately 28,258 Internet users viewing pornography.
14. Internet control is as important at home as it is at the office. Businesses are at risk of productivity loss due to Internet abuse. Internet abuse has reached alarming levels. Facebook alone if left uncontrolled within a business can reduce employee productivity by as much as 30%. – Source: Kaiser Family Foundation.
Frampol have been helping homes and companies alike with solutions to these problems.
As can be appreciated from the statistics above, there are very real risk areas. The best advice to keeping family, friends and work mates safe on line is to keep informed. Frampol is available to meet and talk over the options find us at www.frampolafrica.com. Google online protection and inform yourselves! Stay Safe.
Frampol is a cutting edge technology solutions provider. Get a free consultation with us on getting the ideal ICT technology for your educational institution. We make IT work!Education