Zifa Chief Executive Officer, Jonathan Mashingaidze, said recently that the missed qualification to the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations was now history and added the association was out to build a strong team for 2017.
“That we are out of the Nations Cup does not mean the end of the world. We have to build for the future and that has to start now,” said Mashingaidze.
He said they were trying to get some top African teams to play the Warriors in the re-building exercise. A deal to play Morocco in November had already been sealed, he revealed. The Zifa official said Morocco would field their strongest team, as they would be finalising their squad for the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations finals.
On September 10, The Warriors would be battling it out with Libya, who controversially bundled Zimbabwe out of the African Nations Championships semi-finals, which the North Africans went on to win earlier in the year.
The match is set for Harare, with Mashingaidze revealing that the new national team would be built around the Under-23s.
Zimbabwe, who fell out in the preliminary round of the 2015 Africa Cup finals, also failed to make the journey in 2008, 2010, 2012, and 2013. Although Zifa recently announced they had disbanded the Warriors, Mashingaidze said it was the old team that had been laid to rest, as they were building a completely new one.Post published in: Football