Zim loses right to host tournament

rugby_BULAWAYO The Confederation of African Rugby has moved the Under-19 world championships African qualifiers from Zimbabwe to Kenya amid concerns over security and cholera. The World Championships Under-19 Africa qualifiers were supposed to be held from August 19-29. Rugby Union president, Themba Sibanda, said they had been shocked by the decision.


The CAR executive met in Kenya last month and decided to move the matches, we were told security and fear of cholera were the reasons but when we questioned them on security they stuck to cholera, he said.

He said ZRU was unfortunately not represented at that meeting. Zimbabwe was awarded the right to host the Under-19 World Championships Africa qualifiers during the CAR annual general meeting held in Senegal in October last year. This is not the first time the country has suffered at the hands of CAR.

Last year Senegal refused to travel to Zimbabwe to fulfil their 2011 World Cup qualifier, citing perceived security threats, and CAR postponed the match. When Zimbabwe lost to Namibia the following month, CAR scrapped the match between Zimbabwe and Senegal.

Had Zimbabwe first played Senegal before they played Namibia, their chances of progressing to the round of the qualifiers might have been higher. Last month, the Zimbabwe senior national sevens side failed to participate in the Tangiers.

Rugby coach aims high at world contest
Tendai Mtawarira: knocking down the barrier

Post published in: Rugby

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *