Zimbabweans flee SA, as soldiers were deployed last night to quel the escalating xenphobic attacks

KYA SANDS, - PEACE has finally returned at troubled Kya Sands, Johannesburg, South Africa following military intervention on Tuesday evening.

But outside borders, Zimbabweans were busy on Wednesday fleeing South Africa, and they are currently flooding both the Botswana borders at Plumtree while the Musina-Beitbridge in South Africa recorded huge influx.

In a telephone interview with CAJ News Agency on Wednesday (today), Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) spokesman for Matabeleland south province in Plumtree border-post, Inspector Tafanana Dzirutwe, confirmed the influx of Zimbabweans at the two borders.

“Zimbabweans are coming back in huge numbers. They are coming back through Botswana borer-post in Plumtree while the majority are using the Musina-Beitbridge boder-post.

“They tell us that they are running away from xenophobic attacks in South Africa. Remember there were once attacked in 2008, and this time around they can’t wait to be attacked or killed,” said Insp Dzirutwe.

He said the Zimbabwean government was taking the new wave of xenophobic attacks “very seriously”.

“We are taking no chances on these fresh xenophobic attacks on our people. We hope our South African police counterpart would contain the sad situation,” said Insp Dzirutwe.

He said women, children and some men were crossing the two borders in huge numbers between Sunday and Tuesday, including today (Wednesday).

He added: “They (Zimbabweans) are coming back home with all their belongings. Some tell us they are not going back to South Africa even when there are no more new attacks fearing their lives.”

He however could not be drawn into revealing the exact figures of Zimbabweans to date who have crossed back into the country referring CAJ News Agency to Senior Assistant Commissioner, Wayne Bvudzijena in Harare, who could not be reached for comment by the time of going to press.

South African Police Service (SAPS) provincial commissioner, Lieutenant General Oswald Reddy, confirmed that peace and stability had returned following three days of fighting with locals attacking both foreigners and fellow South Africans based on tribalism.

“The situation has returned to normal. The police visibility has calmed the situation,” he said.

Both soldiers and police personnel could be seen patrolling the Kya Sands township.

During the 2008 violent xenophobic attacks, more than 60 people were killed with more than 200 000 others displaced from their residences.

Post published in: News
  1. Tafara Zindonda
  2. Tafara Zindonda

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *