According to a reliable source, the fire that was started by unidentified people has left the motelâ€™s thatched gazebo, used as a conference facility for at least 200 people, totally destroyed. Apart from the gazebo that is situated near the pool, some smaller rooms were also damaged.
â€œThis unfortunate event occurred late last night at about 23:30.Â As far as I know the blaze started outside the motel premises, when a fire made by locals to burn rubbish got out of control.Â It is a great loss, not only to the people who own and run this venue, but also to all of Shurugwi and the Midlands,â€ said the source in a telephone interview.
When this journalist viewed the property personally, the charred remains could be seen and the air around the building was heavy with the stench of ash and smoke. It is reported that local fire fighters did not attend the scene.
A senior worker at the motel said that they still had to establish the exact amount of the loss that had incurred: â€œIt is very painful that the fire came from neighbouring premises. It destroyed facilities were worth thousands of dollars,â€ said the official before referring further questions to management.
This journalist was not able to obtain comment from hoteliers, Edward and Irene Mukarakate.Post published in: Featured