It’s not so much Back to the Future as Forward to the Past, with inflation expert Professor Steve Hanke of John Hopkins University in the United States saying Zimbabwe is again experiencing hyperinflation, returning to the dark days which culminated in the economic collapse of 2008
In a report published this week he estimates the current rate of inflation at 348%. The market price for a real US dollar is 70% more than the government’s bond notes (see: http://sites.krieger.jhu.edu/iae/files/2017/10/Zimbabwe%E2%80%99s-Hyperinflates-Again-Hanke-Bostrom-Cover-Page-Paper.pdf).
Professor Hanke said: ‘Zimbabwe, welcome back to the record books! You have once again entered the inglorious world of hyperinflation. It is a world of economic chaos, wrenching poverty and death.
Our activist found a feeling of hopelessness wherever he went – in Harare, Bulawayo, Masvingo . . . ‘You look everywhere; you don’t see any hope’, he said. ‘People have lost faith in democracy under Zanu PF. Eighty percent say the elections won’t change anything. They focus on bread and butter issues, feeding the family.’
He continued: ‘The election is a non-event. There is a perception that opposition leaders are involved in business deals with Zanu PF and, anyway, people who do not support Zanu PF face all sorts of hurdles in registering to vote while Zanu PF has already registered its own people.’
‘The international community is happy. They have a good excuse for doing nothing. One foreign official told me that, for a conflict situation, Zimbabwe was peaceful, exuding normality. We like it here.’
Our emissary said those hoping for change must rely on a Eureka moment. The Vigil thinks this may well come with a total collapse of the economy.
No problem there.
- Comments on the Vigil’s 15th anniversary this month: Ben Freeth: You are all heroes! What an amazing record of tireless activity in speaking truth to power. Peter Tatchell: Congratulations! 15 years. What an astonishing achievement. Tony Reeler: You guys are exceptional. Wilf and Trish Mbanga of the Zimbabwean: Congratulations to you all! We salute your endurance and commitment.
- For Sky News coverage of last week at the Vigil check: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kowV_LivfOA.
- Thanks to those who arrived early to help set up: Mavis Chisvo, Jonathan Kariwo, Ndodana Maphosa, Roseline Mukucha, Alfredy Mukuvare, Eunice Mupandawana, Tonderai Musanhu, Shepherd Nyamandi, Tsitsi Nyirongo, Cecilliah Phiri, Elleriah Saili, Pearl Shambare and Knowledge Sibanda. Thanks to Roseline, Pearl, Mavis and Josephine for looking after the front table, to Patricia Nyamunda and Bianca Monica Mpawaenda for handing out flyers and selling wristbands and to Jonathan, Alfredy, Shepherd, Tonderai, Knowledge and Ndodana for putting up the banners.
For latest Vigil pictures check: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zimbabwevigil/. Please note: Vigil photos can only be downloaded from our Flickr website. The facebook page for our sister organisation Restoration of Human Rights in Zimbabwe (ROHR) (https://www.facebook.com/ROHR-Zimbabwe-Restoration-of-Human-Rights-301811392835) has been hijacked by destructive elements from a group calling itself ZHRO.Please be advised that any postings on this page are not posted by ROHR.
FOR THE RECORD: 37 signed the register.
EVENTS AND NOTICES:
- ROHR National Executive meeting. Saturday 4th November from 11 am. Venue: The Royal Festival Hall, Southbank Centre, Belvedere Road, London SE1 8XX.
- ROHR Central London branch meeting. Saturday 18th November from 11.30 am – 1.30 pm. Venue: Royal Festival Hall, Southbank Centre, Belvedere Road, London SE1 8XX. Contact: Daisy Fabian 07708653640, Maxmus Savanhu 07397809056, Sipho Ndlovu 07400566013.
- The Restoration of Human Rights in Zimbabwe (ROHR) is the Vigil’s partner organization based in Zimbabwe. ROHR grew out of the need for the Vigil to have an organisation on the ground in Zimbabwe which reflected the Vigil’s mission statement in a practical way. ROHR in the UK actively fundraises through membership subscriptions, events, sales etc to support the activities of ROHR in Zimbabwe. Please note that the official website of ROHR Zimbabwe is http://www.rohrzimbabwe.org/. Any other website claiming to be the official website of ROHR in no way represents us.
- Swaziland Vigil. Saturday 11th November from 10 am to 1 pm outside the Swaziland High Commission, 20 Buckingham Gate, London SW1E 6LB.
- The Vigil’s book ‘Zimbabwe Emergency’ is based on our weekly diaries. It records how events in Zimbabwe have unfolded over the past 15 years as seen by the diaspora in the UK. It chronicles the economic disintegration, violence, growing oppression and political manoeuvring – and the tragic human cost involved. It is available at the Vigil for £10. All proceeds will go to the Vigil and our sister organisation the Restoration of Human Rights inZimbabwe’s work in Zimbabwe. The book is also available on Amazon.
- Zimbabwe Action Forum meets regularly after the Vigil to discuss ways to help those back in Zimbabwe tofight oppression and achieve true democracy.
- Zimbabwe Yes We Can Movement holds meetings in London as the political face of ROHR and the Vigil.
- Zimbabwe Vigil Highlights 2016 can be viewed on this link: http://www.zimvigil.co.uk/vigil-news/campaign-news/843-zimbabwe-vigil-highlights-2016. Links to previous years’ highlights are listed on 2016 Highlights page.
- Facebook pages:
The Vigil, outside the Zimbabwe Embassy, 429 Strand, London, takes place every Saturday from 14.00 to 18.00 to protest against gross violations of human rights in Zimbabwe. The Vigil which started in October 2002 will continue until internationally-monitored, free and fair elections are held in Zimbabwe. http://www.zimvigil.co.uk.Post published in: Featured