The new tax regime is totalitarian, draconian and fascist.
The so-called statute is unconstitutional in two ways. Firstly Parliament’s primary lawmaking power cannot be delegated and secondly, a statutory instrument cannot repeal an act of parliament neither can it be in opposition of an enabling act.
Fundamentally, the creation of a robber state which pickpockets the poor is an evil of the highest order.
Forcing the suffering masses living in abject poverty to fund the lives of the political elites who are the sole reason of economic decay is unbelievable.
It is also the opposite of the interventions required, taxing the citizens to death in a recession is digging the economy deeper into an abyss.
We, therefore, demand the following:
1. That Mthuli resigns forthwith for causing economic chaos.
2. The new taxes must be reversed unconditionally.
3. Supply-side solutions be employed – that is the sane way to expand fiscal leg room.
4. National dialogue be initiated in line with President Chamisa’s 5 point plan.
5. An Emergency Economic Recovery program must be adopted and stop the unpalatable suffering of the Zimbabwean people.
MDC: Change that Delivers!
MDC National Spokesperson