- It is characterised by narrow self-interest embedded in corrupt activities by political leaders.
- That the 23 August election was stolen in favour of the ruling party was a given.
- But the most worrying part was the opposition’s complicity with Zanu PF’s continued rule by thuggery and manipulation.
- No current Zimbabwe leader seems keen on uniting the nation behind a ‘Zimbabwe first’ agenda.
- Taking advantage of the toxic and corrupt ‘democracy’, they each stand juxtaposed to each other, gridlock style, with no clear way out of the self-inflicted quagmire.
- For this its lack of leadership, Zimbabwe continues to be robbed of its critical resources by outsiders, at a huge loss to future generations.
It was therefore resolved that a new pathway be identified and a programme developed to stem the rot and call the ruling class to order. A new leadership has to be developed. ROHR was to restart its non-partisan programmes on the ground.
It was agreed the next ROHR meeting would be on Saturday, 18th November. Members then braved the not so convenient weather (heavy rains) to set up the vigil and sustain it for the day.
Thanks to those who came today: Cynthia Chibanda, Sandra Chidemo, Delice Gavazah, Simbarashe Jingo, Basil Kamombe, Chido Makawa, Heather Makawa Chitate, Tendai Mapfumo, Philip Maponga, Victor Mhlaba and Ephraim Tapa. For photos, see: https://www.flickr.com/photos/zimbabwevigil/albums/72177720312107325.
For Vigil pictures check: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zimbabwevigil/. Please note: Vigil photos can only be downloaded from our Flickr website.
Events and Notices:
- Next Vigil meeting outside the Zimbabwe Embassy. Saturday 4th November from 2 – 5 pm. We meet on the first and third Saturdays of every month. On other Saturdays the virtual Vigil will run.
- ROHR general members’ meeting. Saturday 18th November from 11 am. Venue: Royal Festival Hall. Contact: Ephraim Tapa 07940793090.
- The Restoration of Human Rights in Zimbabwe (ROHR) is the Vigil’s partner organisation based in Zimbabwe. ROHR grew out of the need for the Vigil to have an organisation on the ground in Zimbabwe which reflected the Vigil’s mission statement in a practical way. ROHR in the UK actively fundraises through membership subscriptions, events, sales etc to support the activities of ROHR in Zimbabwe. Please note that the official website of ROHR Zimbabwe is http://www.rohrzimbabwe.org/. Any other website claiming to be the official website of ROHR in no way represents us.
- The Vigil’s book ‘Zimbabwe Emergency’ is based on our weekly diaries. It records how events in Zimbabwe have unfolded as seen by the diaspora in the UK. It chronicles the economic disintegration, violence, growing oppression and political manoeuvring – and the tragic human cost involved. It is available at the Vigil. All proceeds go to the Vigil and our sister organisation the Restoration of Human Rights in Zimbabwe’s work in Zimbabwe. The book is also available from Amazon.
- Facebook pages: